Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Flight of Angels, Rebecca Guay

A Flight of Angels, Rebecca Guay.  ISBN: 9781401221478.
Read August 21, 2013
 
Graphic Novel: frame story of faery-kind finding a fallen angel in the snow holds 5 varied stories about angels.
 
I didn't want to review this, because I was smart enough to look at the end of the frame-story first, and realize it wasn't a happy ending.  I hate when visual arts are sad.  They are too powerful for me to handle well, and they contribute to my depression.  I know it's a personal struggle, but there you have it. 
 
Still, the artwork is sooooo beautiful.  Guay may very well have intended this as a portfolio of her artistic abilities, and it's a really good one if that's the case.  Her work is striking, regardless of the style and "era" that she overlays on each individual story.  I especially like the sepia-toned work for the frame story, and the noir look for the majority of "Original Sin." 
 
The individual stories are so short and sometimes simplistic that it's hard to see them as anything more than excuses for the artwork, which I can understand - the art is glorious.  However I do think it would be stronger if it were a bit more length, with each of the stories given the time and space necessary to develop and shine, and for the frame-conceit to become a bit stronger.

Personally, I would also like it if I didn't have to see beautiful haunting artwork telling sad stories that I then find impossible to get out of my head, but again - that's on me, not the artists.   

No comments:

Post a Comment