Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Tuesday Storytime: Prepping for Halloween

I Am a Witch's Cat
Harriet Muncaster
ISBN: 9780062229144
Meticulous miniature dioramas are adorable mundane counterparts to the wild claims in the text.

Previously reviewed here.  Still adorable.  No worries from any parents or kids, and a few chuckles at the conflation of the "mommy book club" with a coven.


Duck and Goose Find a Pumpkin
Tad Hills
ISBN: 9780375858130
(Board Book) Short and sweet in the Duck and Goose tradition, good for audience interaction.

Duck and Goose books are usually just a smidge too basic for me to use in storytimes.  I'm sure the kids would love it, but I try not to subject myself or the parents to very simplistic "baby books" any more than I have to.  This one is an exception because I try very hard for my Halloween books to be lighthearted, family-centric, and generally utterly inoffensive.  Very simple set up has Thistle (Duck and Goose's occasional friend) wandering by with a pumpkin, spurring the young friends to acquire one of their own.  A series of spreads has them looking in all sorts of unlikely places, until Thistle reappears at the end to drop a much-needed hint about the pumpkin patch.

Hedgehug's Halloween
Text by Benn Sutton, concept and art by Dan Pinto
ISBN: 9780061961045
Colorful and blocky collage in textural swathes of bright or moody colors.

I'm not super thrilled about the artwork here, as I feel it's a bit too small for as busy and stylized as it is.  I wish it were a larger book.  That said, the story is adorable, and the pictures are very clear and understandable despite the blocky collage and rough-edged textures.  Hedgehug has forgotten about the yearly Halloween party in the forest, and he and his friends are desperately trying to find him a costume, but his prickles keep ruining things.  As the party begins, and he's still sans costume, he trudges through the forest sadly, but there's a three-headed big thing chasing after him!  It's his friends, with one last super-duper attempt at a costume, but this time they're prepared for the spikes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment