Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Athena Doctrine, John Gerzema and Michael D'Antonio

The Athena Doctrine
John Gerzema & Michael D'Antonio
ISBN: 9781118452950
Jossey-Bass, 2013

The premise is pretty obvious - traditional "male" values like competition and ambition and control aren't the best options for a fractured but interconnected world where everyone depends on everyone else, and everything impacts us all.

However, I'd like to note that I find it vastly amusing that the theories of "girl power" are being researched and then promoted by a duo of self-described "bald white guys."  I don't know why, but it just strikes me as a little odd.

The book is interesting, and not what I was expecting.  I was expecting graphs and charts and recreations of the data they reference in the start from the surveys and demographic studies they did prior to publishing the book.  That's not what this is.

Instead, what we get are a series of snapshots of "Athenas" in various countries (of both genders, I would like to make clear) who are using more feminine virtues and strengths to build their countries and communities up in the face of adversity.  (Excepting Bhutan, where they're building their country in the face of overwhelmingly apathetic comfortable conformity.)

Given the title, I'm sure no one will be surprised to learn that all of the Athena ventures highlighted here are either actually successful or at least inspiring.  I was surprised that there were no counter-examples of specific male ventures that have failed, other than the epic recounting of Iceland's troubles at the very beginning of the book.  That is, unless you wish to place the ENTIRE blame for the terrible state of the world squarely on the menfolk in charge up til now.  I'm not entirely sure that's not what they had in mind, but that feels a bit harsh to me.

That said, the book is inspiring, if a little short on actual ideas to implement or to change in your own everyday life.  The innovators featured aren't successful because they model "Athena" values, but because they are innovators - they have the creativity to spark new ideas, and the drive to attain their goals.  Without those twin fires, even with all the Athena virture possible, world-changing is much less likely to ensue, and I think that failing to acknowledge and prepare readers for that is a real sticking point.

No comments:

Post a Comment