Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Summer Reading Program: Fairytale Heroes

Penultimate Program!

Started with Sam and the Tigers again, (because seriously, so amazing)


Skippyjon Jones Snow What
Judy Chachner
ISBN: 9780803737891
Skippy dreams the story of Snow White (and other classic fairy tales) in "fractured fairy tale" fashion.

I'll be totally honest, when I realized I wasn't going to be able to give the program this time, I was relieved that I didn't have to do the Skippyjon Jones book.  They're great for kids, everyone loves them, they're silly and fun and just subversive enough to be enjoyable for parents and kids, but I just don't like them that much myself.  So it was nice to have at least one book this time around that I wasn't saddened to be missing.

Skippy's sisters are on a princess kick, but Skippy knows that the real story is about the hero.  And who is that hero?  Skippy himself, in a dream sequence that includes the seven Chihuahuas.  



 The Frog Prince Continued
Jon Scieszka, painted by Steve Johnson
ISBN: 0670834211
What happens AFTER the princess kisses the frog?

Scieszka is a crazy person, and all of his stories are looney tunes in the very best ways.  Here we start off with the Frog Prince, who isn't too happy as a Prince, to be totally honest, and sets off into the Forest to figure out how to become Happily Ever After.  Along the way he runs across as many different fairy-tale personages as can be squeezed into the plotline, and the ending has a twist ending that anyone over 12 will see a mile away.  

No comments:

Post a Comment