Friday, August 14, 2015

Graphic Novel: The Invincible Iron Man, Vol 1 The Five Nightmares, Matt Fraction, Salvador Larocca

The Invincible Iron Man, vol 1. The Five Nightmares (2009's issues 1-7)
Matt Fraction
Salvadore Larocca
ISBN: 9780785134121
Tony Stark's technologies and companies are threatened by Obadiah Stane's oldest son, Ezekiel, who is becoming an Extremis-fueled nightmare.
Comic Book Club read for July 2015.

Despite the fact that this won an Eisner, I have to say I was a lot less impressed with this than with Fraction's Hawkeye run.  For some reason, he just didn't seem to nail the biting commentary Stark is known for, and the threat from the younger Stane never felt personal - never felt real.  Stark was always in control, and even during this break from Civil War, I didn't get the feeling that Stane was actually occupying much of Stark's attention.

The artwork was also a little iffy for me.  Larocca's compositions and figures seemed oddly distorted much of the time, and the coloring was inconsistent and distracting.  I was constantly pulled out of the storyline by a strangely drawn figure or an oddly framed scene.

Lots of people enjoyed the arc, and the overall run, so I am probably just a strange picky minority, but it really didn't make a very good impression on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment