Saturday, September 5, 2015

Fantasy: From a High Tower, Mercedes Lackey

From a High Tower (Elemental Masters)
Mercedes Lackey
ISBN: 9780756408985
Fantasy: mash-up of Rapunzel with a German wild-west tale.
Read June 2015

These last few books have struck me as odd for various reasons.  This time around, I was perplexed by the jacket copy that gave away the entire story to the 3/4s mark.  I was floored when I began reading and the story never picked up the pace - I was expecting the info in the jacket copy to be the set-up for the story, not the largest portion of the story itself!  That just struck me as very strange.

Once I got over that, I did enjoy the tale.  These are mostly light-hearted stories about good men and women who are masters (or adepts) at working with elemental spirits, and who stand against evil people who wish to use the elemental power (here presented as overwhelmingly neutral to human morality and affairs) for evil.

This particular story also involves the last heroine from Blood Red who has grown into her role as a legit ass-kicking guardian warrior, which was gratifying.  There was also a sub-plot involving a tribe of Pawnee enduring racism and caricatured portrayals of themselves in an attempt to earn money to purchase titles to their ancestral land.  I thought that was handled with skill and grace, but I am not native, so there may be issues I don't see.

Another fun little story, and a new set of interesting characters to add to the roster of interesting people in the overall series.

No comments:

Post a Comment