Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Tuesday Storytime: Cats and Dogs

(I know, I know - but I'm caught up now!)

So hard to pick, so I included a bonus title today.  I couldn't choose until the day of, so I'm reviewing my "first runner-up" as well, because it's so cute and fun.

Dog In Charge
K. L. Going, illustrated by Dan Santat
ISBN: 9780803734791
"Good dog" has been left in charge of the 5 cats for the afternoon - will they be good?  Nope.

Our dog is very happy to be a Good Dog.  He sits, stays, and does dances for treats.  When the people leave him in charge (of the 1,2,3,4- 5!) cats, he expects them to sit and stay also.  They don't.  Dog bosses them around, gets a little frantic, attempts bribery (and fails miserably at his own willpower) and finally sags into a nap of despair.  But no worries - the kitties aren't bad, only active.  They love that dog, and they'll make sure he's still considered a Good Dog when the people get back home.


Un Gato y un Perro / A Cat and a Dog
Claire Masurel, illustrated by Bob Kolar
ISBN: 0735818355
Bilingual, with Spanish as the primary text, about two mortal enemies who learn to help each other.

A very short story, and one that made me wish I was brave enough to try Spanish, but I don't speak it, and I'm afraid that some of my families DO, and I don't wish to cause offense or embarrass myself.  Our cat and dog don't like each other one single bit, and they growl and hiss at each other, and always play alone, in their own ways, with their own toys - until the day comes when each toy is lost in just the perfect way that they need the other's help.  I like that one of them thinks to help first without having to be asked, and the other one enthusiastically returns the favor.  A bit too simplistic and over very quickly, but it all works for that short middle read,

Widget
Lyn Rossiter McFarland, illustrated by Jim McFarland
ISBN: 0374384282
Widget is a stray, so he's willing to do just about anything for a nice warm home - even become a cat.

I love Widget.  It's the perfect story of fitting in and working with people.  Widget is sick of being a stray, so when he finds Mrs Diggs and her six cats, he's pretty sure he's got it made - one small problem; "the girls" don't like dogs.  No big deal - Widget can be just as catly as any of them!  In fact, as he settles into his posh new life, Widget even occasionally forgets he IS a dog - until Mrs Diggs falls down one day and doesn't get back up.  When meowing, hissing, and caterwauling for help does nothing, Widget risks it all by barking again, and inspires the girls.  A beautiful story, and one I will always be happy to read.


Bonus Book:
Won Ton and Chopstick
Lee Wardlaw, illustrated by Eugene Yelchin
ISBN: 9780805099874
Won Ton's haiku book gets a sequel here, with a new puppy added to the family.

The conceit here is lovely, but the reading is a little odd with my age-group - haiku are notorious for being indirect and glancing and not-quite-exactly-to-the-point, which is lovely for reading to yourself, or with older children who are a bit experienced with metaphor and simile and conceptual thinking.  It's less fitting for toddlers, unfortunately, despite the bright colors and really adorable pictures.  Won Ton is less than pleased to have a new puppy in the house, especially when spats leave Won Ton (not the newcomer) exiled to the yard.  Still, familiarity does the trick, and harmony regains peaceful sway by the end.


2 comments:

  1. Me-wow! Honored to have my book Won Ton and Chopstick included in your most-excellent list! Thank you. And you're right - - this book is better suited for ages 6 and up. (It's even being used in middle schools for writing workshops.) Purrs, Lee Wardlaw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by! I love the language and the illustrations for both Won Ton and Won Ton & Chopstick - I hope they're super popular and you get to make many more! I can't wait to see what happens when the family gets a koi pond. :)

      Delete