Friday, June 3, 2016

New Arrival: Juvenile Graphic Novel: Help Us! Great Warrior, by Madeleine Flores & Trillian Gunn

Help Us! Great Warrior
Madeleine Flores with Trillian Gunn
ISBN: 9781608868025
Um.. The great warrior is a green kirby thing who fights evil (even though she'd rather just chill), I guess?


I came at this cold, so I may not be the best audience for it, but the cover was cute and strange and had multiple women of color on it, so I thought - eh?  Why not!?  I'm now intrigued and very confused.

The Great Warrior is a green kirby blob that lives in a village of other (blueish/greyish) blobs.  Their village keeps getting destroyed by demons from the monster realm, and Hadiyah (an unexplained human (actually not a human, more of a djinni/guardian angel/earth spirit thing), along with "Samson the magnificent" who is the Great Warrior's best friend...? ) basically drops in and says, Great Warrior, you have to go fight the demons because they keep destroying things.

Then in a great plot twist (it wasn't very twisty) it turns out that Great Warrior has a deep dark secret of her own, and she has to make a hard choice to keep her village and her friends safe.

I enjoyed it.  I don't want this review to seem negative - I really did have fun reading it, but I was sooooo confused the whole time.  Are there other ones before this?  I can't figure it out from a search (and not to brag, but librarians are pretty good at searching) and I don't know.  Technically over the course of the story we learn everything we need to know for the story to work, but it seems so offhanded and by-the-bye that I really feel like there's other stories or background info that I'm not privy to.

It was interesting, and peculiar, and odd.  But lots of powerful female characters (good and evil) although Hadiyah got fridged and Samson got stuck in nursemaid territory in order for the plot to progress (grrr argh).  Interesting and lively, but weird.  

No comments:

Post a Comment