Saturday, July 23, 2016

Fantasy: The Aeronaut's Windlass (Cinder Spires #1) Jim Butcher

The Aeronaut's Windlass (Cinder Spires #1)
Jim Butcher
ISBN: 9780451466808
Epic fantasy in a claustrophobic but sheltered high-rise "spire" housing a city above the dangerous misty surface world.

A bit odd to read, because I found people and scenes and characters from everywhere just casually dropped in.  Auri is there, Brienne of Tarth (at least physically), Horatio Hornblower, just re-skinned and in different circumstances.  It's not exactly a complaint - I like those characters, it's just odd to see them there.  Like having a very recognizable actor can sometimes make it hard for suspension of disbelief when I'm watching a movie, these characters sometimes made it hard for this particular world to seem quite real to me.

The story is fun and winds along well.  Much closer to Furies than to Dresden if you're curious.  I'm looking forward to the next installment, but I'm not aching for it or desperately waiting to learn what happens next.  The talking cats helped quite a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment