Saturday, September 24, 2016

Young Adult: The Walled City, Ryan Graudin

The Walled City
Ryan Graudin
ISBN: 9780316405058
A pair of sisters cross paths with mob bosses and desperate kids in a gritty crime-filled shanty-town.

This book is roughly based on the reality of the Walled City of Kowloon, which used to be in Hong Kong, but set in roughly modern times. What's interesting is that for a large part of the story, I couldn't tell if they were even in a real-world setting, or a gritty semi-modern "fantasy" analogue, and it doesn't really matter.  The story is real and gripping and powerful, and even though it's a bit darker than I usually select (trigger warnings here for rape and abuse and parental abandonment and really just about every type of violence you can think of), I'm glad I read it, and it was VERY good.  It reminded me strongly of The Girl With Ghost Eyes, but with better agency and voices for the women leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment