Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Dancing in the Wings, Debbie Allen, illustrated by Kadir Nelson

Sassy is tall.  She has long gangly legs, and huge feet.  She's also a ballerina, and quite proud of her height - mostly.  Her brother teases her about it, but she gives as good as she gets, and keeps on working hard at her dancing.

Still, being tallest is not the greatest thing - her ballet teacher stumbles over Sassy's feet, she can't dance partner work because she's taller than all the boys, and she can't even dance in ensemble with the other girls because she's too tall to fit in.

When a famous Russian instructor offers try-outs for a summer dance festival in DC, she's excited and proudly signs up to audition, but the snickers and cracks from her fellow dancers, and from her brother, finally get to her.  Maybe she is too tall and gangly?  Maybe her feet are too big?  Maybe - maybe it would be safer just not to try out at all...?

A pep talk from a favorite uncle cheers her up and gets her confidence back up to par, and she attends the audition in her brightest yellow leotard, determined to be noticed, and to do her best. 

I love this story.  I've read it before, and I liked it then, too.  I'll never be a ballerina (I'm pigeon-toed with weird hips) but I am pretty tall for a girl - 5'10" in my bare feet.  I'm married to a lovely guy who happens to be 6'6".  His sisters all break the 6' mark.  We were all swimmers, and we all have legs that practically reach our armpits. 

I'm gonna have me some tall kids eventually, I just know it.  Books like this one are perfect for me to keep in mind when they get a little older, because kids (and adults) can be really cruel about physical differences.  It takes a lot of repetition for someone who's always singled out for being different to realize that sometimes different can be really really good!  All it takes is one look at that picture of Sassy in her bright yellow, head bowed in disappointment (temporary) with those looooong skinny legs, and I know right where she's coming from.  This book is a keeper.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment