Friday, January 10, 2014

Graphic Novel: Dresden Files, Ghoul Goblin, Jim Butcher

The Dresden Files Ghoul Goblin
Jim Butcher and Mark Powers, illustrated by Joseph Cooper and Mohan 
ISBN: 9781606904381
Hardcover Graphic Novel, 160 p.
Read January 9, 2014

I've missed Harry.  The last novel I read was Ghost Story, and I'm holding off on the more recent ones because they've gotten a bit too dark and heavy-hitting for me, at least for the winter months.  (I did get to read Molly's story Bombshells in the Dangerous Women anthology (GRR Martin, ISBN: 9780765332066) this past weekend (January 5th, 2014), and I can say it's a measure of how much I miss the Dresdenverse that I chose to read that instead of Sanderson's Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell, which I STILL have not gotten to read.)  So it was an unreserved pleasure to backtrack to Harry's early days, when his weight class is measured against everyday ghouls and goblins and sea monsters.

The story starts shortly after the events of Fool Moon, with Dresden still reeling over the first real casualties he's been responsible for, and Murph giving him the cold shoulder.  When a small-town deputy from Missouri shows up with a tale of a family of orphaned siblings dying in unusual circumstances, Harry is all too willing to leave Chicago's bad memories behind for a while, and do his part to help another set of orphans.  Unfortunately, the kids are the remnants of a family cursed due to an ancestor's stupidity (elaborated in the prologue, with a Lawrence of Arabia cameo in Egypt), and now the kids, the last of the family line, are literal pawns in a supernatural turf battle.  Just identifying the nonhuman players is taking all of Harry's strength and wits, and it doesn't help that there is a reactionary Sheriff itching to arrest him for being a con artist, and a shady lady Mayor with a mysterious connection of her own to Egypt.

Obviously Harry can't die (yet), but the body count does get pretty rough before the end.  

The storyline is tight, and what's really interesting is comparing the graphic novelization with the original text summary included at the end of the book.  While characters and events mostly line up, the entire ending is drastically different, and in my opinion, much stronger, in the graphic novel than in the summary.  Makes me wonder who was responsible for the changes, and how that process developed through the creation of the original 6-part series.  

The art - oh lord, the art is beautiful.  I think I mentioned in my review of Fool Moon Part 2 that I was not entirely thrilled with how Chase Conley was interpreting the characters there.  Well, we've switched back up, and I'm LOVING Joseph Cooper's work.  It's simply beautiful.  The characters are expressive in face and body without looking like caricatures.  Even the really tough work like making the goblin subtly off-kilter without looking overly inhuman were just delightfully done.  I especially liked the lantern-jaw on the ghoul, and how Cooper used body posture and viewing angle to really show up that grotesque deformation.  In addition, Harry doesn't look emaciated or nuts, and the female characters have mouths and eyes that fit their faces.  A special bonus for me was the set of covers by Ardian Syaf, who started this whole shindig up in style, and who I've sorely missed.  I was a little nonplussed by his choice of Harry in his pentacle and orange prison jumpsuit, which isn't at all the way it goes down in the story, but I can't deny that it's an impressive and intriguing image to catch someone's eye.

Here's hoping that Butcher sees fit to give us more of these original story graphic novels, or perhaps some graphic treatments of some existing short stories.  I would love to see Harry and Bigfoot in graphic format, not to mention a certain werewolf wedding.       

No comments:

Post a Comment