Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Sandman: The Dream Hunters, Neil Gaiman & Yoshitaka Amano

The Sandman: The Dream Hunters
Neil Gaiman, illustrated (lavishly) by Yoshitaka Amano
October 1999, Vertigo/DC
ISBN: 1563895730 (hardcover)
Re-read January 14, 2014

I devoured this when it first came out, the lush story, the breathtaking art, the unearthly beauty of the Dream King, the faux-historical background, the joy of having a familiar character inhabiting another world that I was passionate about.

Since then, I've browsed through it many times, sighing over the artistry, reading bits and snippets, but rarely the whole thing.  Until today, when I finally got my hands on P. Craig Russell's graphic adaptation, and just had to compare the two.  I've just finished the original again, and it's still breathtaking.

I wish I had better wordcraft to explain how the haunting fall and wash of the paintings makes my chest ache with that tug that is part awe in the face of beauty, and part sadness that life must move on and won't allow you to stay entranced forever.   I wish I could craft a silver and jet net of words to provide a setting of suitable filigree to set this faceted, jeweled, exotic gothic fable into, but I can't.

Just read it, and look at it, and know that craftsmen do exist, and the craft is glorious and good.

No comments:

Post a Comment