Thursday, April 30, 2015

So Many New Arrivals! 4/4: Planet Kindergarten

Planet Kindergarten
Sue Ganz-Schmitt, illustrated by Shane Prigmore
ISBN: 9781452118932
Blocky "space" graphics and fonts enliven this cutesy, funny rework of first-day-of-school anxiety.

I think my favorite part of this book is how the kindergarten students are all actually kids, but are designed and stylized to look like aliens in different ways.  My second-favorite is the comment about how gravity in kindergarten must be way different, because no one can stay in their seats properly.  Truth.

Overall, it seems a little "made-to-order" tidy and overdesigned, but it's cute, and I'm all for space-or science-themed anything, so I'm not really complaining.  Not as likely to use it in storytime just because most of the pages are so busy and stylized that I'd never keep my place while reading, and I worry that the kids would have a hard time following the action.  However, it's going to be a perfect book for display as soon as August hits! 

No comments:

Post a Comment