Friday, April 3, 2015

Teaching Resource: The Sounds and Spelling Patterns of English: Phonics for Teachers and Parents, by Phyllis E. Fischer

The Sounds and Spelling Patterns of English: Phonics for Teachers and Parents
Phyllis E. Fischer
ISBN: 1881929019
Read March 30, 2015

An older (1993) but useful compilation of phonics and phoneme-based instruction that drills in the basic English constructions and when and where they appear, and what they "say" when they are in certain situations.  Very short, but direct and to-the-point, wasting no time on tangents or side-trips into teaching philosophy or any of that.  Just straight instruction, aimed at adults who wish to help other people learn to understand the workings of English better.

Very useful.  I'll probably get a copy for my own personal library.  I never remember learning to read, and my husband is dyslexic, and wasn't diagnosed until after he had gotten into college.  He has great troubles with English structure, and my own background of picking it up so naturally is a handicap now, because I have troubles explaining how it all works - just that I know it does.  Dyslexia is heritable, so this is me preparing for the worst if I ever have kids.  I want them to enjoy reading and writing, perhaps not as a hobby or job, but at least enough to always be comfortable as a reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment