Wednesday, June 10, 2015

New Arrivals: Picture Book: Rodeo Red, Maripat Perkins, Molly Idle

Rodeo Red
Maripat Perkins, illustrated by Molly Idle
ISBN: 9781561458165
Crisp Pixar-esque drawings and scenes dramatize sibling rivalry into an Old West showdown.

Molly Idle is amazing.  New picture books show up just about every week here at the library, and I try to check through them all.  Most of them I flip through and then shelve - they don't speak to me personally, so there's no need to review something that left me cold.  On the other hand, sometimes we get books like Rodeo Red through the gate, and I literally clapped my hands with joy when I saw it.  The best part is that while the cover illustration and a quick flip drew me inexorably inwards, the story by the masterful Maripat Perkins kept me glued to the narrative, which is rare for a picture book.  Excellent pairing, and I hope it continues!

You guys, this book is so goshdurned cute.  Our red-headed cowgirl and her partner, the (stuffed) hound-dog Rusty, are none too pleased when a new resident takes over the ranch (er, nursery) next door.  The new neighbor is rude, crude, and awfully grabby - and the last straw is when he grabs Rusty!  When the law (aka the parental units) cravenly takes the side of the newcomer?  It's just all too much to bear.  Our heroine is nearly overcome with despair until a new fancy posh animal arrives on the scene, and Red arranges for a prisoner swap to bring Rusty safely home.

So fricking cute.  Words fail.  Go check it out and feel your heart swelling with the adorableness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment