Friday, October 11, 2013

Fantastic Mistakes, Neil Gaiman & Chip Kidd

Fantastic Mistakes, Neil Gaiman's "Make Good Art" Speech, Neil Gaiman, book art and text design by Chip Kidd.  ISBN: 9780062266767.
Read Sept 26, 2013.

I've read this speech several times, and listened to it online at least twice.  This edition I feel doesn't quite do justice to the simultaneous levity and solemnity of the subject and the speaker.  Gaiman was being quite serious about all that he said - making good art, not taking yourself seriously, being open to the joys and experiences of the present, doing work because it inspires you.  However, at the same time, he was presenting it in a conversation, casual, almost confessional manner - nothing like a sturm-und-drang bombast or fire and brimstone preacher.  Just a nice conversation, with a wise friend.

This version makes the serious parts seem like a business-conference pep-talk motivational-speaker powerpoint, and the casual friendly conversational style seem trite and limited in scope.  The expanses of white space with various linear elements in blue or red only makes the speech seem much less robust than it actually was - many spreads make the language seem puny and unfinished, rather than powerful and spare.

I will say that I liked the composition of several individual pages: the "list of things I wanted to do" page spread, the "universe kicks me hard" page, and the "This is really great.  You should enjoy it." page.  Otherwise, I just felt the graphic elements and design competed with the message, rather than complemented it.  I was also driven nearly furious by the "1irst of all"  "2econdly"  "3hirdly" (yes, he really did, yes, all the way through the numbers, yes, I died a little inside.)  

However, it's art, it was published (way to go!) and it's personal - other people may find it beautiful and breathtaking.  For me, I'll just continue to listen to the recording and read the boring black-and-white text version.  I just don't seem to need funky typesetting or overtyped words or color-changing sentences to get the idea.  

No comments:

Post a Comment