Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Picture Book Roundup: Biographies! I Am Abraham Lincoln, I am Amelia Earhart

I don't often use biographies in storytime, but I might actually be able to use the Amelia Earhart one - it's really short and kicky, and has some great illustrations that remind me just a bit of Calvin and Hobbes's Susie Derkins.

It doesn't hurt that they both also have that very Calvin and Hobbes simplistic way of taking complex moral ideas and just presenting them in kid-friendly language, with examples and illustrations that really resonate.  These are really short, and really simple, meant for very young audiences.  

I am Abraham Lincoln
Brad Meltzer, illustrated by Christopher Eliopoulos
ISBN: 9780803740839

Starting with the basics, Lincoln illustrates that character starts with the small things: persistence, determination, caring for others.  Then it jumps into a (VERY SIMPLISTIC) treatment of Lincoln's stances on the Civil War and ending slavery.  The running joke of being on the penny (what's a penny?) is a little silly for me, but perhaps it would strike a younger reader as more amusing.


I am Amelia Earhart
Brad Meltzer, illustrated by Christopher Eliopoulos
ISBN: 9780803740822

I am pretty sure this is going to get used in a storytime at some point.  Amelia is just too overenthusiastic to not take advantage of.  Seriously - this entire book is about the importance of enthusiasm.  If you want something, you work for it, and you fight for it, and you DO IT because it makes you happy.  Haters gonna hate - you just go for your dreams and see what you can do with them.  Again, a perfect Calvin and Hobbes style message, in a great little short biography for the youngest audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment