Monday, April 28, 2014

Storytime Potentials: Inside Outside, and Look What I Can Do!

My favorite days in the library are when the new books come in.  They smell like ink and paper, the pages are crisp and bright, and the covers are all shiny glossy plastic in their new covers.

Got a WHOLE LOT today.

Inside Outside
Lizi Boyd
ISBN: 9781452106441
wordless paper-cut collage.

I'm not sure I'll be able to use this one in storytime, but I really enjoyed seeing it.  The pages are like paper-bag paper, a bit rough and stiff, and the drawings are deceivingly naive line-drawings with color scattered about seemingly haphazardly.  However, the real treat is watching the seasons pass by through the windows (die cut) looking out and looking in as the main character (gender neutral) plays inside and out.  Lots of detail here, and lots to notice on multiple read-throughs.  Would be really good with a classroom, I think, to revisit time and again.



Look What I Can Do!
Nancy Viau, illustrated by Anna Vojtech
ISBN: 9781419705298
soft-edged "dreamy countryside" illustrations of animals and children at play

This is a perfect storytime book, and I am actually going to use it with Oops a Daisy! and another book (still have to find it) to create a "try and try again" theme.  I've wanted a theme like that for a while now, and these will be perfect together, if I can find a third.

Seriously adorable woodland creatures (including a snake and a spider for those phobic) narrate their attempts to do their specific type of work/play - a fawn stands wobbily, a raccoon tries to catch a fish and fails - and ends with kids attempting new activities as well - skating, riding a bike, hitting a baseball.  Rhymed couplets with the "wise owl" and the "wise owlet" providing the capstone rhymes.


No comments:

Post a Comment