Monday, April 28, 2014

Storytime Potentials: Peace Baby, Brimsby's Hats

Rolling through the picture books still!

Peace, Baby!
Linda Ashman, illustrated by Joanne Lew-Vriethoff
ISBN: 9781452106137

This book made me want to grow my hair out long and straight, wear bell-bottoms, and put on a flower crown.  Seriously, tho, this is a cute montage of stress-inducing child situations, with a mantra of "Peace, Baby" to remind kids to seek alternatives to violence or anger.  Especially nice because the situations are very realistic for kids, and because there is absolutely no religious or cultural context invoked.  This one will be getting used soon!


Brimsby's Hats
Andrew Prahin
ISBN: 9781442481473

I actually saw a review for this one in Booklist a while back and specifically requested it.  I was so happy today to see it in person finally!  It's always a gamble for me to get excited about books based on a review - I so often disagree with them, or find some little niggling thing that bugs me that the reviewer didn't include.

I LOVE THIS BOOK!

Brimsby (most excellent name) had a good friend, and they would sit together and visit, until the friend went off to sea to fulfill his dream of being a sea captain.  Then Brimsby was lonely.  How Brimsby found a tree full of potential friends and set about making friends with them is just a sweet sweet story.

It's a bit on the long side, but I think I can make it work.  It's worth it for a sweetie like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment