Saturday, May 10, 2014

Memoirs of Lady Trent series, Marie Brennan (aka, a lady naturalist discovers dragons around the world)

I finished a writing project, so I took a bit of a mental health break and got some reading done.  It's such a nice feeling to finish something and be proud of it, but it's even better to turn off my brain and just sink into a story for a while.

In other news, there's still 5 days left to exercise your own creative side and submit an invented type of dragon to become part of Marie Brennan's Memoirs of Lady Trent series.

That said, it shouldn't be a surprise that this review is of that series.

A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent
Marie Brennan
ISBN: 9780765331960

The Tropic of Serpents: A Memoir by Lady Trent
Marie Brennan
ISBN: 9780765331977

Both read sometime in the last two weeks.

I originally read and reviewed A Natural History of Dragons last summer and of course loved it immensely.  I was not disappointed in it the second time through, and actually felt that the pacing wasn't as much of a complaint this time around - as I knew what was coming, I was more prepared for it.

I am happy to report that The Tropic of Serpents was a bang-up read as well, and in some ways, even better than the first.  I loved the political and ethnographic asides, the commentary of a much older and wiser woman looking back on youthful indulgences and indiscretions, and I really feel they complemented the story so very well.

I also felt that the action and pacing was a bit more stable in this installment.  I loved the swamps, I loved the people, I loved the "reckless pragmatism" of Lady Trent, and I'm happy to see her gain friends and mature through challenges.  It was a shame about the pocketknife.

The next one on the docket is Voyage of the Basilisk, with an ARC release late this year, so probably an early Spring 2015 publication date.  So excited!



No comments:

Post a Comment