Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Winter Bride, Anne Gracie

The Winter Bride (A Chance Sister's Romance, Book 2)
Anne Gracie
ISBN: 9780425259269
Read May 27, 2014

I read and failed to review the first book in this series, the equally enjoyable The Autumn Bride, which came in as a donation to our library last fall.  I read it without realizing it was only published that year (Feb 2013).  It's probably just as well that I didn't know it was so new, because I would probably have declined to pick it up, being as it's quite obviously the first in a projected series about four young 'sisters' who take their destiny into their own hands, and find love and family along the way.  It's saying something about the quality that when I finished Autumn, I immediately tried to request Winter, only to realize in frustration that it hadn't even been published yet!

Now Winter has been out for a while, but our library copy only just now made it through processing, and I was so happy to see it come through!

I have to say that I enjoyed it just as much as I did Autumn.

There was only one editing mistake that I noted (a mis-directed aside), and the plotting and story were beautifully paced and executed.  The language is beautiful and specific - curricles and pelisses and tigers - and the main characters are all well-drawn and enjoyable to read about.  Chapters are headed with Jane Austen quotes, characters refer to the horrors of the marriage market, and traumatic histories are unearthed for both our hero and heroine, all along a sweet path towards a growing friendship and eventual passion.

Now the only question is who will be the Spring Bride?

No comments:

Post a Comment