Monday, February 23, 2015

Holmes Pastiche: Dreaming Spies by Laurie R. King

Dreaming Spies
Laurie R. King
ISBN: 9780345531797
Read February 22, 2015
Holmes & Mary Russell, volume 13

We finally return to the adventure that happens in part between India and San Francisco (in The Game and Locked Rooms, respectively) and in part after the whirlwind mess of The Language of Bees, The God of the Hive, and Garment of Shadows.  (Pirate King is sort of elided over...)

I've been waiting for the Japan story for AGES!!!!

... and I have to say, I'm a bit nonplussed.  I like the story, I like the idea, and I like the execution, but I really feel like this was a story that could very easily have been about any English upper crust people watching what happens with Emperial entanglements and shinobi exploits.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I'm gratified and happy that other characters are shown as competent and deadly characters in their own right, especially in a country and environment where our main characters are out of their comfort zones.

Still, despite the well-crafted storyline and the excellent characters, I did feel a bit adrift without more Holmes-and-Russell-driven action.  I do understand the logic - Holmes is at least 70something now, and Russell had a rough time of things in at least one of the lead-ups.  Still, it's sad to compare how little they are needed for the plotting and the completion of the story, especially in comparison to how active they were in Monstrous Regiment or Language of Bees.

Still a lovely read, and the characters (especially the minor characters - always a real bright spot in these books) are so lively and interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment