Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The subtweet, and reviewing polarizing books

I'm on twitter (totally unrelated and unaffiliated to this site) and as I first settled in, I learned a new phrase: the "subtweet."  In general terms, it's related to "vaguebooking" and "angst-blogging" in that it's employed to keep specific details to a minimum.  I find that on twitter however, the subtweet doesn't get used as an attention-spammer as often as the other two iterations.  Vaguebooking particularly seems rife with "WOE IS ME!!  (psst, ask me about my woe already!)" sort of updates and posts and comments.  Even blogging is susceptible - something about the similarity to journaling makes people all too willing to spill copious amounts of generalized or carefully un-specified angst over their blog pages.

I really generally try not to do that.  First, because no one actually cares.  Second, because it's frankly a little childish; if you want attention, there are more mature (and more effective) methods of getting it.  Thirdly, if I can repeat myself, no one cares.

Subtweeting is different.  Unlike a blog, it isn't acres of text.  Unlike a comment or a status update, it isn't loaded with import - it's just a tweet, that happens to be about a redacted or unclear subject.  And thus, my point.  

I do sometimes find myself in the position of wanting to blather on this blog at length about a book that I have encountered, where I fear I will have an unpopularly critical opinion.  Now, I am often critical.  I have eviscerated books before for various reasons, and I'm not ashamed of that.  If a book is flawed in my opinion, then I'm prepared to defend my opinions.  I also know that other people may have other opinions, and I'm quite happy with that also.

In contrast, some books have become (or were created to be) rallying points for various audiences.  Critical opinions about these particular books is not seen as criticism of the book, but of the audience.  To be blunt, it gets personal.  I don't wish for my opinions on a book to be extrapolated out to the general audience.  I also do not wish for my opinions to be demonized and hunted down by certain zealous groups, because again, it gets personal.  To be quite clear: I do not wish to be hunted down, nor demonized, nor really paid much attention to (why am I blogging again?) but I do want to have the chance to set down (and therefore help organize) my thoughts and opinions.

I also am trying to create a record of what I read, and it's not honest to leave certain books unremarked because I am afraid of the attention they might garner.

So, all of this is to say, I think I'm going to co-opt the concept of the subtweet, and attempt to use this space to set down my thoughts about a book, mainly for my own interest, without setting out the names and associations of the book in question.  I can think of several things I have read that would be perfect for this approach, but honestly I don't have the time nor the necessary interest to re-visit them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment