Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Short Reviews: January 2013. Ironskin, Tina Connolly

Ironskin, Tina Connolly.  ISBN: 9780765330598
January 2013
YA: This book reminded me very strongly of Jenna Starborn, in that it really does quite simply take Jane Eyre, mess around with the setting, and let it fly again.  I enjoyed Jenna Starborn, and I did enjoy Ironskin also, but I do think that the world-building in the former was a little more realized.  There were some implications in this endeavor that weren't fully dealt with, and several others which were just left to hang unresolved.  

However!  While the setting in Jenna Starborn is pretty ho-hum Victoriana in space, THIS setting is really very interesting.  I would have LOVED to see an original story set in this world, rather than a re-hash of a classic.  I got the impression that a lot of thought had gone into creating an interesting concept for a world, and then when it came time to write a story - they choked up.  I totally understand that; I'm a worldbuilder, and a character writer myself, not a plotter.  But I do feel somewhat cheated that this really very interesting scenery and background was wasted on a watered down YA edition of Jane Eyre.  

A world in the twilight of an Empire powered by the stolen life-energy of the fae really deserves something a bit more original.

ETA: apparently there is now a sequel: Copperhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment