Monday, September 8, 2014

Picture Book C&C: The Reluctant Dragon, and The Reluctant Dragon (abridged)

The original Reluctant Dragon first showed up as a chapter in Dream Days, by Kenneth Grahame (of Wind in the Willows fame) and was subsequently adapted by just about everyone, in just about every format imaginable.  The one I read as a child was illustrated by Michael Hague (who remains my favorite illustrator of that particular story), and was first published in the 1960s.  I've compared it to a more recent edition that was abridged by Inga Moore (Six-Dinner Sid) from 2004.  I was trying to find a version short enough to use for my toddler-level storytime, but even her abridgment was way too long for my needs.  (For the curious, I ended up with Tomie DePaola's The Knight and the Dragon which covers very nearly the same territory.)

The Reluctant Dragon
Kenneth Grahame, illustrated by Michael Hague
ISBN: 9780030640315
Holt, Rinehart, & Winston 1983, hardcover, 42 pages.


The Reluctant Dragon (abridged)
Kenneth Grahame, abridged by Inga Moore, illustrated by Inga Moore
ISBN: 0763621994
Candlewick, 2004, hardcover, 52 pages. 
(page count is higher due to greater number and size of illustrations)

Short verdict:  Classic wins, but not by much.

Longer verdict: 
Illustrations - I like the bright crisp colors and the almost Kate Greenaway romantic childhood English feel of Inga Moore's version, but despite the appeal of a bright sky-blue dragon cavorting in flowery meadows under the sun, I still prefer the super-detailed and slightly more "realistic" drawings of Michael Hague.  Classic wins out for me, but for people preferring brighter colors or slightly more cartoonish presentation, Moore's is lovely.  Finally, Moore's is unquestionably the more richly illustrated - nearly all the pages are illustrated, and there are many full spreads.  

Language: For the very young, the abridgment elides many of the adult or unpleasant asides, but I feel like some of the interest and peculiarity of the original language is lost along the way.  For parents or teachers looking for a version with fewer objectionable elements, the abridgment is likely to be much preferred: the drunken dragon at the end is made simply tired, many of the double-entendre asides by the adults or the dragon are removed or rephrased to alter their meaning, and most interestingly, the villagers baiting the badger for sport (and the creature's subsequent rescue by Sir George) is entirely removed from the story.

So - either one is delightful, but I remain firmly on the side of my own childhood favorite (most likely because it IS my childhood favorite) despite a beautiful presentation by Inga Moore.






 







No comments:

Post a Comment