Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Storytelling Development

Way back when, in the misty years of high school mumblty-peg years ago, I worked as a volunteer for a public library summer reading program, and as part of that program, the staff encouraged the young volunteers to become involved in community cultural activities.

During those summers working with the library in my teens, I was an artists' model (that was fun, and I got a few portraits out of the experience) developed my interest in backstage theatre through a variety of productions, got hands-on with puppetry, and participated in community storytelling events.

Well, now that library school is over and done with, and I'm finally settling into the routine of my new exalted position as a librarian (with all the various hats that accompany the title) I'm feeling an urge to get back into some of those interests.  

Theatre isn't on the table right now (but might be in the future) and puppetry is a little too involved for my available storage space at home and work.

Storytelling?  I remember that I enjoyed it more than acting, and that it was less involved than puppetry (at least, comparing the way I did puppetry and the way I did storytelling).  There is an active storytelling community meeting just a few miles away from my workplace.   At least one of my co-workers in the children's department is an active storyteller with that group.

So, with a trepidatious heart, I am thinking about getting back into performing for audiences who aren't toddlers (or are distracted by their toddlers).  As part of that, I'll be researching (naturally) and looking at picture books (also obvious) to find legends and fairy tales and myths and folk tales to develop into a repertoire.

The posts for these will be noted as "Storytelling."  We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment