Monday, September 22, 2014

Picture Book Haul: Halloween books, I Am a Witch's Cat, and Ten Orange Pumpkins

Loads of picture books in today, and LOTS of them are Halloween/fall books.  I'm thrilled with that, because Halloween is my favorite holiday, but I wanted to highlight my two absolute favorites.

I Am a Witch's Cat
Harriet Muncaster
ISBN: 9780062229144

Freaking ADORABLE.  A little girl dressed up in a black cat pyjama suit wanders and frolics around informing people of all the things that make her homemaker mother actually a witch.  Of course, it's all nonsense, as the illustrations clearly show a normal family and normal house.  Until the last page where mom's night out has an entirely different meaning.  I especially like that there's no indication one way or the other if mom is single, divorced, or married and enjoying a solo night out.   The illustrations are equally awesome - on first glance, they look like straightforward collage or paper-mache, but a closer look reveals intricate created environments using cardboard and fabric and wires and paper cut outs and god knows what else amazingly transformed into living rooms, gardens, and shopping marts.  Too cool.  (Also a perfect length for storytime, so I have another good Halloween book that isn't too specifically Halloween - have to be careful about that in the Bible Belt.)


Ten Orange Pumpkins: A Counting Book
Stephen Savage (Little Tug)
ISBN: 9780803739383

(Phobia warning: GIANT (nonrealistic) SPIDER!)
I love our black cat companion.  I love the subtle color-fades on the spreads.  I love the stylized shadow-box scenery.  I don't love spiders.  BUT the rest of the book is so lovely, and the spider is likewise stylized (even though ENORMOUS) that I can make it through.  Great progression, great reveal, simply delightful artwork.  Excellent all around.    

No comments:

Post a Comment