Monday, February 3, 2014

Picture Book Bonanza 2/3: Molly Idle's Flora and the Flamingo, David Wiesner's Mr. Wuffles!

Flora and the Flamingo
Molly Idle
ISBN: 9781452110066
Read February 3, 2014

Wordless Picture Book, Lift-the-Flap Picture Book

This was a cute story, but I think that the combination of wordless AND lift-the-flap pushed it a little too far into 'trying too hard' territory for me.  Also, the book is pretty much entirely pink (with a flamingo, I can't rightly blame it for that, but I also hold that I'm more critical of it because it's pink).  Flora is a pear-shaped person in a swimming cap, suit, and swim-fins on her feet, and the flamingo is - well - a flamingo.  Flora is also attempting to copycat said flamingo, who isn't entirely happy about her attempts.  Things get a little rocky when the flamingo performs a maneuver that ends Flora up in the drink, but amends are made, leaving girl and bird to dance and splash together in harmony.  Not entirely to my taste, but I especially liked the cherry-blossom borders on the pages, the amount of character representation possible with a pair of black swim fins, and Flora's expressive eyebrows.


Mr. Wuffles!
David Wiesner
ISBN: 9780618756612
Read February 3, 2014

Wordless Picture Book

Have to say from the start that this is NOT my favorite of Wiesner's works (that one for me goes to Flotsam  for general amazingness, or to Hurricane for personal impact) but that said, this one is a cute romp.  Mr. Wuffles is a grumpy black cat who, like all cats, prefers toys that aren't toys.  Unfortunately for some very seasoned travelers, they are the newest "toy."  After Mr. Wuffles damages their spaceship, they must join forces with the denizens behind the cupboards, learning each others' languages (actual languages, which can be actually learned by the reader - this part made me think of Weslandia and Dinotopia) and developing blended technologies to help with the rescue/escape/taunt the cat mission.  I love the bugs - they're very William Joyce's Leaf Men in shape and plot function, but more expressive.  The aliens are adorable, and I love their determination and fright when faced with Mr Wuffles in all his enormity.  Technically, this isn't a wordless picture book, as the aliens and bugs do speak, but I'm willing to give it some wiggle room for a nifty idea and a lovely presentation.  The last panel, with the additions to the bugs' wall of history, was killer.

No comments:

Post a Comment