Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Tuesday Storytime: "Love My Library" Month, Week 3

Tuesday, February 18, 2014
We missed last week due to snow, and I had a training seminar to attend myself today, so one of the Clerks did the actual storytime.  I miss my kids!!
It went well without me, according to the Clerk.  The books worked out well, and she enjoyed presenting them.

The Library Dragon
Carmen Agra Deedy, illustrated by Michael P. White
ISBN: 156145091X

I like this one primarily because it's about a school library, rather than a public library.  With all the cuts in funding and time, I feel like I need to make the point that there are supposed to be libraries inside their school, so hopefully in a few years when they're in school, the kids will remember and seek it out.

Miss Lotta Scales is a real dragon.  She runs the library like a gated keep, guarding her hoard from the grimy fingers of the student body.  Until the fateful day that she hears little Molly reading aloud, snd sees the kids quietly listening.  Miss Scales transforms!


Dewey: There's a Cat in the Library
Vicki Myron, illustrated by Bret Witter
ISBN: 9780316068741

This picture-book abridgement of the popular nonfiction story of Dewey the library cat is a sweet and quick read for library lovers.


Wild About Books
Judy Sierra, illustrated by Marc Brown
ISBN: 037582538X

Another Molly features in this book, teaching a zoofull of creatures how to treat their library books in irrepressible rhymes and clever wordplay.   The bright colors and loose illustrations match up nicely with the zany premise and the fast-paced story.


No comments:

Post a Comment