Monday, February 24, 2014

Storytime Potentials: Miss Mouse Takes Off, Jan Ormerod - airplane travel

Miss Mouse Takes Off
Jan Ormerod
ISBN: 0688178715
Read Feb 24, 2014

I spotted this little gem by chance while processing library transits, and I'm so glad I spotted it.  Travel books aimed at the very very young are often way too cutesy or repetitive for my taste, or they gloss over the actual realities of travel (it's long, it's boring, you're stuck in a chair or berth) in favor of more fantastical adventures.

This little guy is perfect.  Written from the perspective of Miss Mouse, a stuffed lovey, a trip to visit grandma becomes a straightforward adventure in it's own right, with no mystical trappings or elisions.  I do feel a bit sorry for the other passengers on the flight who have to deal with Miss Mouse's antics (she ends up in some poor gentleman's soup!).

Now I just have to find two more nifty travel or airplane titles to pair it up with.  I'm tempted to go with a travel theme rather than an airplane theme, since the travel aspects are hit so hard and so well.  I'll just have to see what I turn up, and you can be sure you'll see this title popping up under the Storytime tag in the next few months!

No comments:

Post a Comment