Monday, February 24, 2014

Storytime Potentials: Wow! Said the Owl, Tim Hopgood & I'm Not Sleepy!, Jane Chapman

Found a couple of owl books - I love owls, and I think it's nifty that they're rapidly becoming a meme.  That said, lots of owl books are either very lyrical (Owl Moon) or a bit too cutesy (Owl Babies) for my tastes.  That said, both of those have made more than one appearance at storytime, so I don't hate them - simply always looking for something more interesting to present.

So, without further ado:

Wow! Said the Owl (A Book About Colors)
Tim Hopgood
ISBN: 9780374385187
Read Feb 24, 2014

First off, can I say how REALLY AWESOME AND THRILLING IT IS THAT THIS IS A GIRL OWL?  There are no pink bows, no indication on the cover that this is a "gendered" book, but the protagonist, our little fuzzy non-obviously-male-or-female owl buddy is a GIRL!!!  Huzzah and shout it to the rooftops.  (Not going to get into WHY it is so distressing that this should make me so happy.)

Anyway, this curious little girl owl (LOVE THIS) decides to nap one night so she can stay up the next day to see what daytime is like - so she goes through the day experiencing all the bright beautiful colors in short text blocks on vibrant saturated pages, and then compares them to the beautiful stars of the night.



 
I'm Not Sleepy!
Jane Chapman
ISBN: 9781561487653
Read Feb 24, 2014

Jane Chapman is the illustrator of the lovely Karma Wilson Bear books, which I adore with all my heart.  This one is not quite to that level, but it's nicely executed, and sure to strike a chord with weary parents and determined toddlers alike.  As evidenced by the title, Mo is NOT SLEEPY, and Grandma (again with the non-traditional families - I'm so glad that this is finally gaining traction here in picture-book-land) is up to her ear-tufts in trying to get him down, until she finally decides that since SOMEONE has to go to bed at bedtime, why not make it her, and make little Mo do all the work putting her there?  Smart Grandma, cute story, storytime win!

No comments:

Post a Comment